Documentary on gun laws and the 2nd Amendement

Discussion in 'The 2nd Amendment' started by DeadPatriot, September 13, 2012.

1. DeadPatriot

DeadPatriot

Good day,

I'm new to your board so I hope you don't mind me introducing myself to you in this way.

My partner and I are Emmy award winning producers from Northern California. Two years ago we started working on a film about street gangs invading rural California. Due to my repeated contact with gang members, it was recommend that I obtain a CCW permit - which I did. The process led to me learn about the backward gun laws of California compared to the rest of the Union. Through research I discovered that there has never been a positive documentary about the 2nd Amendment and gun ownership in America.

Assaulted: Civil Rights Under Fire will be such a film. Supported by the CalGuns Foundation and Second Amendment Foundation, this PTV/PBS documentary will look at how California is the front line in gun control battle. The film will look at the current assault weapon ban proposals in California and Washington, DC, as well as, CCW permitting across the USA.

Here are a few links to learn more about the film:

ASSAULTED by Kris Koenig — Kickstarter (Our Kickstarter funding campaign where you can see the trailer)

Assaulted ? Civil Rights Under Fire (The project website)

http://www.examiner.com/article/docu...rms-under-fire (An article from the Examiner)

https://www.yousendit.com/download/TEhXNWNnQ3Q1aWIwZXNUQw
    (Gun Owners of America Radio interview)

Please post or IM me with any ideas/suggestions you might want to share with me regarding this documentary.

Thank you for reading this post.

2. Minimal Brat

Minimal Brat

Is this the same one I was reading about on The Gun Wire?

3. diesel

diesel

:mad:Let me give you my take on this topic. First of all i hope you take no offense to my position.
    I honestly believe that you, like so many others with good intentions, are wasting your time. These far left, save the world , types are NOT going to pay any attention to your doc. just like they pay no attention to the actuality of todays society. Every time some mentally irregular citizen burns a wire and whacks someone, these same jokers come out of the woodwork with a hailstorm of gun control proposals,"it's not the poor j.o.s fault, it's the gun." Bullshit!!!!
    Socially, i always hear, "this kid grew up in the ghetto and thats why he is violent." Bullshit again. Society is....well, what it is. One must arm themselves to have a fighting chance against these predators. Sooner or later, damn near everyone finds themselves in a compromising position.
    There are these types that take advantage of the weak, no matter what their social position. And all the gun control laws in the world are NOT going to stop a whacko from doing what they do best, create chaos!
    There is no rehabilitating these types...no way to change their attitudes...they are what they are. If we take their guns they'll kill you with a knife, a car, a shovel or anything else at their disposal.
    We absolutely need to arm ourselves against these whacks...no matter what Nancy Pelosi thinks!:flag:

4. Noel

Noel

The only documentary about the 2nd amendment I need is that one episode of Penn and Teller's Bullshit.

No offense.

5. DeadPatriot

DeadPatriot

Hi, folks - I'm Anita, part of the Dead Patriot Production team. I'm chiming in for Kris, as he is out of state right now.
    Diesel, I get ya. No offense as I agree, and these are the viewpoints we need to hear, just so we have a good read of the honest opinions of Americans when it comes to Firearms, the 2nd Amendment, and our Civil Rights. And Noel, I like that episode as well, it is inspirational and funny. I'd love for us to interview those guys.
    Minimal Brat, yes, that's it. Glad you noted that, I hadn't seen the posting. Thanks!

We do have a lot of social support for this production, but securing funding is always the challenge no matter what production is in the works. And although there are a lot of folks who wonder "Why Bother?" that won't deter us. There's plenty of crap in the media today that still gets churned out. We're going to give this our very best.
    And thanks for the input, we do appreciate it.
    :)
    Anita

6. PrepperTraining

PrepperTraining

OK - I'll throw my thoughts in the ring too...

First, welcome Kris and Anita. I appreciate what you guys are trying to do. I wish you the best of luck.

Second, I tend to agree with Diesel. For those of us that are pro-gun, you're preaching to the choir. For those that aren't, they're not gonna listen anyway. Pretty much each side has made it's mind up already and isn't interested in being confused with facts. At first, I was excited that someone was taking the initiative and doing a documentary on this, but then I realized that the anti-gunners would consider it a "Mock-umentary" in the same light as many of us view Michael Moore for example.

However... I think it is exactly that sort of attitude that has lead us where we are now. The anti-gun camp has been pushing their agenda for a long time and the pro-gun camp has been appalled and didn't believe that our rights could get taken away, yet that's exactly what's happening. I think that taking the attitude that it won't help may turn out being self-defeating. I'm not sure what the "right" answer is. I appreciate your efforts though and hope that it helps swing people over to supporting 2A rights.

Best of luck...

7. Minimal Brat

Minimal Brat

I have to agree with what everyone is saying except if even one person changes their mind it can make a different.

8. DeadPatriot

DeadPatriot

Anita here, and PrepperTraining, you have nailed it. The more I do research, the more these views hit me in the face. How does one get someone to at least look at the facts, and then, use common sense when it comes down to our rights? That's why we are here, asking as many folks on the forums all over the nation what they think, their views, their ideas. I was a bit taken aback by some the harsh replies given from other posters on other boards, but then, we get the supportive folks which bolsters my confidence that more people do want to see a factual and riveting documentary on these issues. It makes me rethink our approach. Much work, and research ahead. Thank you all for your input. Its valuable to me.

9. diesel

diesel

Anita...you used a magic sentence; "get someone to use common sense." Our nation has become so polarized in it's political views that folks on either side refuse to use common sense when it comes to something like the second amendment. One either agrees or disagrees, and refuses to give ground. As i become older, i find myself in this catagory. After so many conversations with those who disagree with me, i find it a waste of time to debate the topic with anti's any longer.:notlisten:
    If we cannot expect our elected officals to come to the center on ANYTHING, how can we expect individuals to center on something as controversial as gun rights?
    Using common sense these days is as rare as hens teeth, and i fully expect most not to.
    And Prep....i'm not so sure there IS a right answer.:confused:

No disrespect intended, Prep.:flag:

Last edited: September 16, 2012
  10. PrepperTraining

PrepperTraining

Hey Diesel, no disrespect percieved here....

I agree with your point re: common sense, but there is a second point you allude to, but don't mention. That is the closed minds. Both sides are guilty of this. (When is the last time you actually listened to an anti-gun argument? I know *I* tend not to myself.) I would be interested in hearing how Kris and Anita plan to entice the anti crowd to watch this documentary. Without accomplishing that, they're just preaching to the choir.

Anita, re: the harsh responses... There have been a few instances lately of producers jumping on a topic people really believe in (just to turn a buck), then trashing the participants. NatGeo's "Doomsday Preppers" springs to mind. I think we've given you guys the benefit of the doubt, but you haven't really shared the producer's motivation yet...

11. Anita,

I don't believe you've mentioned just who the "target" audience is for this documentary.

If it's just for general consumption using the established outlets or will this be aimed directly at our legislators, you know, the people who can acutally effect CHANGE as always promised?

Producing a documentary on the 2nd Amendment and what it really means is all well and good, but getting the people who NEED to see it will be the problem.

About the only people who will watch a documentary of this type are the people who already believe in it and support it. That would be us!

We can all jump up and down and claim 2nd Amendment rights, but until those clowns in Washington figure it out, it's all just eyewash for the masses.

I do wish you good luck with the documentary and I'm sure I'll view it when it comes out. Can we get the people who NEED to see it to view it? That's the question.

AD (what part of "shall not be infringed" don't they understand in Washington?

12. diesel

diesel

You are point on, Prep. As i said, as i get older i become harder headed(if thats possible) and i don't find myself listening to the antis any more. To me, it's the same old drivel i've heard for the last 20 years.....i guess i'm as polarized as the worst of them.:flag:

13. DeadPatriot

DeadPatriot

I just wrote a nice long response and lost it in cyberspace. I'll do this faster now.

Target Audience: General, that includes anyone concerned about firearms and gun control issues

How are we going to accomplish that?
    By interviewing those that oppose as well as everyone else. Giving them time to explain and using our critical thinking skills to engage them.
    Going for facts, and statistics, and Common Sense.

We aren't into bashing one side, we truly want to bring to light what people don't understand about safe gun use, and our rights as American Citizens.
    It won't be easy, but I know its not as hard when we get responses like what we have here; you guys care, and that's what matters.
    thank you so much for your responses, this helps us tremendously!
    Anita

14. DeadPatriot

DeadPatriot

Hiya, Folks –
    I want to thank everyone for the support of our documentary,
    “Assaulted: Civil Rights Under Fire.”
    We have reached our goal for initial funding, and are now officially in production.
    Thanks again for all of your ideas, information and viewpoints; its good to know you are here and ready for this film to be made!

Anita
    Dead Patriot Films

15. Anita,

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to viewing in the future for sure!

Hopefully it won't come out like that really bad "documentary" on "Curent Channel" (a BBC product I believe) where they used Camden, New Jersey as the "typical" gun community in the United States.

AD