• For those that are or may be expiriencing login issues, please try using https://www.ohgunowners.net

That seems to resolve the problem some have been having.

Also if you'd like to use the secure connection obviously you can with out problem.

If you do have any issues please use the contact link at the bottom to let me know so I can look further into it.

Thank you,

Andy

Concealed Carry in the Era of Terror

BuckJM53

nra
Last week's events in Garland TX, got me thinking again about the potential differences between a self defense encounter with a thug at the corner gas station or home invasion, verses an unexpected encounter with heavily armed terrorists bent on the idea of creating maximum carnage at a mall or other populated venue. As luck would have it it ran across the following articles by John Murphy. While he has a tendency to be "out there" a bit IMHO, the following articles are an interesting read and certainly food for thought.

Part 1 Concealed Carry in the Era of Terror: Part One

Part 2 Concealed Carry in the Era of Terror: Part Two

While you never know with 100% certainty how you will handle a particular situation until you find yourself in the midst of it, I'm not ashamed to admit that my first thought (both prior to reading this as well as after), would be self preservation and looking for the most direct opportunity to extricate myself (and my wife) to safety.

Ultimately ... It would boil down to the situation for me.

If it were an individual shooter as in the case of Gabby Gifford, I can see myself potentially intervening to stop the threat as the odds of completing the task at hand and survival would be reasonable.

However, keeping it real, taking on multiple terrorists (with AKs or ARs and body armor) with only a handgun and an extra magazine smacks of a suicide mission and goes against the very reason that I made a decision to carry (to protect my wife and myself).

What say you?

daniellawecki

Army
vip
Army
It would depend on several things cover the two guns I always carry my wife there or not. I would not put my wife in danger or harms way.

diesel

vip
nra
GOA Member
For the average guy, as I consider myself, and on the low end of "average", Mr. Murphy's articles are just so much hyperbole. The average guy has a built in self preservation engine, called the "fight or flight" mechanism that has been around since the time of us confronting the local mega-fauna, which inherently tells us to run and only fight when you know you can't out-run the attacker. I believe Mr. Murphy's advice will lead directly to getting average guy killed.
I believe one should practice getting ones self and friends or family, the hell out of harms way.
I do not intentionally avoid certain places or areas as a way to insulate myself from terrorism but, as a life long habit. I have never been one for large venues, which is what most terrorists seek.

The articles are an interesting read but, are functionally unrealistic. I'm 58 years old with a trashed back and a left hip on it's way out, and don't see myself as an avenging angel. I'll continue to use the smaller "mom and pop" type places for my business and seriously doubt i'll ever confront a terrorist other than a local LEO. Just my own opinion.:flag:

I and my wife are both 70 , running is not an option. My plan would be to escape with my wife any way I can. I carry a 380 , after reading these articles I think I might start carrying my glock 21 and two extra mags, but my concern is going to be to protect myself and my wife

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk