Class III Tax stamp?

Discussion in 'Class III (NFA)' started by whitewolf68, April 5, 2012.

1. Anyone ever gotten a class III tax stamp for anything? I've always wanted to add a silencer to my ar-15 just for the hell of it and was wondering how tough or easy it was.

2. rjrivero

rjrivero

For what it's worth, Class III is a dealer classification. No such thing as a "Class III tax stamp."
    If you can pass a NICS Background check, you can own an NFA firearm.

You probably already know that there are two general ways to transfer NFA Firearms.
    1. Apply as an individual.
    2. Apply as a legal entity. (Trust, LLC, Corporation)

Most of the NFA transfers are done as Trusts, and for good reason. Trusts are private and unregistered. The belongings on the trust are able to be used and possessed by any trustee. Trustees can be added and removed easily. Multiple people can possess the NFA Item. If you have adult kids or spouse who would like to use that NFA item without you present, then this is the route to take.

Corps/LLC's are similar as they are legal entities that can own property. However there are public articles of incorporation and such that are filed with the State and available for public search. Your articles of incorporation can be modified "in house." But if you move, you have to file again with the state. A trust simply needs to be amended.

The individual route is self explanatory. Excuse the pun. However, this requires doing a little more paperwork. You are required to get a Chief Law Enfocement Officer Signoff stating that the Class III firearm is LEGAL to possess in that jurisdiction. However many CLEO's believe incorrectly that signing off on an NFA item brings them into some kind of liability for that item should it end up used in a crime on the street, so they don't sign off. In such a case, it would force the buyer to do a trust or LLC. The individual application also requires Fingerprinting for FBI background check as well as a passport photo to be attached to the application.

With that said, it's a hassle to get a Class III Firearm. But oh how much fun.
    Short Barrel Rifles: One in 5.56 and one in 9mm using a Glock Mag Dedicated lower.
    [​IMG]

Short Barrel Rifle Kriss Super V with Osprey 45 Suppressor
    [​IMG]

Glock 35 with a 40-9 conversion barrel and (Now discontinued) Trident 9 suppressor
    Walther P22 with a Gemtech Alpine
    [​IMG]

Hmmm. Seems I don't have any pictures of my AR's with their suppressors. I'll correct that oversight and post some this weekend.

Edit: As promised, a pair of AR15: Top 16" with Ops Inc 16th Model Suppressor. I wanted to build an SPR, but 18" middys are harder to come by, and this 16" Daniel Defence barrel I got at a great deal. Below SBR with Ops Inc M4S suppressor.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: July 13, 2012
  3. WOW! Thank you for the wonderful post and ALL the information.

4. rjrivero

rjrivero

Most welcome. There's plenty more where that came from. If and when you're ready to start collecting stamps, I'll be happy to help. I work part time at Adco. Just down the street from you in Sylvania, OH.

5. Awesome! I love that store. I am like a kid in a candy store there. My wife does not allow me to go there often because she is afraid of what I would spend. LOL

If there is a Logo or anything you would like display here PLEASE let me know I would be happy to add it to the board.