Cincinnati Police Chief and carrying a firearm

Discussion in 'News, Headlines and Information' started by Sigh, June 4, 2012.

1. Sigh

Sigh

What police chief can, can't do | Cincinnati.com | cincinnati.com

It's an interesting situation...

IMHO, things would be much simpler and just by changing the law to reflect "shall not be infringed."

Last edited: June 4, 2012
  2. diesel

diesel

I know a few officers, Sigh and everyone of them carry....always. Maybe its because the guys i know work here in the boondocks?

3. Every one of the officers you know that carry have attended the Ohio Peace officer academy (or whatever it's called in Ohio) in order to BE a police officer.

Evidently the Chief in Cincinnati has not and that's where the details are coming apart.

I've always wondered about departments that bring in new chiefs from outside departments.

AD

4. Sigh

Sigh

diesel: The few officers that I've known recently only carry for duty and plan on not carrying at all when they soon retire. How I found out about the latest one was that I had to put a deer down for him as the .40s that they issue weren't doing the job. After a quick double tap of .45 from my 1911 did the job, I suggested that he consider something other than that issue caliber for when he retires 'cause we've got some big ol' boys 'round here. He informed me that he never intends to carry a gun after he retires. :notlooking: Law enforcement out here doesn't seem to be a gun culture but the rest of us are. However, they seem to be some of the fairest officers I've seen anywhere over the years. They usually mind their own business.

ADulay: Yep, it appears that he never was certified in Ohio and isn't wanting to take the test (and coursework??). I have no issue with that but got a chuckle out of how they ran into carry issues that the rest of us in Ohio have to deal with every day. It's almost as if they are saying that he should ignore the laws and carry anyway. That wouldn't be cool, IMHO!

5. diesel

diesel

My best friend Sigh, is the retired chief of the town where i live, and he even carries when we go to breakfast locally! He is quite frankly the man who talked me into my CCW. I guess there is a big difference between big city cops and those out here in rural suburbia.

6. Sigh

Sigh

Diesel: It's rural around here too and it surprised me that they plan on not carrying when they retire. The rest of us all carry around here.

mrjam2jab: Good find! :bow:

Thread: I'm in the minority everywhere I go... I don't agree with practically any of the gun laws present in the US today. IMHO, legislators make it far more complicated than it should be. In my ideal world of less gun laws, it wouldn't be an issue for this chief to carry but he'd also be criminally and civilly liable if he screwed up; just like the rest of us.