Charter Arms New Pitbull 9mm Revolver

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by whitewolf68, August 1, 2012.

1. Charter Arms is announcing a new revolver in their catalog, the 9mm Rimless Revolver Pitbull. Following Charter Arms' recently-launched .40 caliber Pitbull, we expect this new little revolver to make a lot of friends, fast.

Immediate after Charter Arms announced the original Pitbull in .40 S&W people started asking for a similar piece chambered for 9mm Parabellum. Charter Arms initially explained a release in .40 to accommodate law enforcement; as the majority of police officers carry .40 S&W service pistols, it makes sense to develop a .40-caliber backup firearm.

Charter Arms New Pitbull 9mm Revolver - Gun News at Guns.com

2. cableguy

cableguy

Man, I don't know about charter arms. Nothing personal, but I shot a charter arms snub in 327 mag recently, and it is the first time in memory of a revolver malfunctioning. lockup was terrible, and I had to spin the cylinder around and fire the last to rounds, they went the second time. This thing was nib that a student purchased for a ccw class. I can't speak to all charter arms revolvers, but this would make me examine one very closely before buying it. The other thing was the timing was off, and not by a little. So take this however, just don't spend money sight unseen. And yes a 9mm revolver is cool. So is one in 45acp.

3. cableguy

cableguy

I just read the link you posted. It looks like a really cool gun. But I would have to handle the gun I was gonna purchase before buying. just my uneducated opinion.

4. I can understand your adversity. I never buy a weapon sight unseen. I am like you in that regard, I want to handle it and get a feel for it first to see how it handles and fits my hand.

I just love shooting the 9mm cartridge and this just seems like a neat piece in 9mm. ;)

5. cableguy

cableguy

Hell ya it's a nice 9mm. I do like the ejector/extractor on the revolver too. I'm sure they are fine, just 1 dud, it's bound to happen....I've had an officer model colt 1911 that couldn't get through 1 mag without malfunctioning. So maybe every manufacture has a lemon every once in awhile.

6. I am sure there are bound to be bad builds from time to time, as you already know. Some manufacturers do have more then others due to quality control issues.

7. Bringing back an old thread.
    I'm gonna be looking for a 9mm revolver, but not the Charter Arms that this thread originated for.
    Two other manufacturers HAD 9mm revolvers. Smith and Wesson had the 547, a 6rd 3" and 4" built on the K frame and the 940, a 5rd 2" and 3" built on the J frame. Ruger had the 'Speed Six', a 6rd 2 3/4" in Blue and SS, and the SP101. Taurus currently has the 905, a 5rd 2" Blue or SS,which is the one I'll be seeking. At the Medina show, there was a S&W 940 2" Blue for $1100. All the previously manufactured 9mm revolvers have attained collector prices and I want a shooter,not a collectors piece.
    Why a 9mm revolver. I shoot 38special and am a fan of 38special. The 38sp started out as a blackpowder cartridge and even current guns and ammo are limited by SAAMI pressure limits. The 9mm started out into the modern powder era and has higher pressure rating.
    The 9mm revolver(9mm ammo with moonclips) can be made into a 9mm rimmed not necessating the clips and act like/load a conventional revolver. What's being done is the 38sp case is trimmed down to 9mm length(1.125" down to .750"), the O.D. of both the 9mm and 38sp are both .379". Once the case is length trimmed, run the shortened case into a 9mm sizing die and you have a rimmed 9mm. The rim of the new case sits where the moonclip sat. This comes from gun forums where owners have done this with complete success.