• For those that are or may be expiriencing login issues, please try using https://www.ohgunowners.net

That seems to resolve the problem some have been having.

Also if you'd like to use the secure connection obviously you can with out problem.

If you do have any issues please use the contact link at the bottom to let me know so I can look further into it.

Thank you,

Andy

Caliber

BLASPHEMY!!! God will punish you for that!!

Putting a Glock in the same company as a Taurus! I've never been so emulsified in all my life! (With apologies to Lestoil for stealing that line.)

Well, as my current Glock 30 has run flawlessly for 5000+ rounds, I actually went and ordered another one (due in January) as I felt guilty shooting my daily carry gun all that much so now I'll have two of them. One for a LOT of shooting (IDPA, etc) and the other one for carry with a monthly shoot). I just love the feel of a good .45ACP in the heat of battle.

Of course, it's a 45. Everybody needs some kind of 45. We're American shooters!!

AD
Hey AD do this comparison. Check the material on a glock frame, the amount and thickness of steel that the slide contacts. Then check a Springfield XD (any) it is thicker there is more. I look at a Glock and just wait for it to snap off.

I know Glocks run, but seen one put into water and it failed. People like James Yeager hate 1911's... John Browning designed it based on the COLT 1910..the first day of testing he was there to watch and fix or tweak the design. The Army Testers fired more than 6000 rds in a day, mag after mag, the only complaint was it was getting too hot to hold, Browning stuck the whole thing in a bucket of water and they just kept shooting it. Not one fail. He did not go on day 2 onward. He did not need to be there, it worked.

My XD 40 has had more than 4000 rds so far and hardly even any noticable wear. Yeager says the 40 cal alone cannot go 5000 rds without the gun breaking. He HATES 40. He HATES 1911's. But he is wrong on his facts on the 1911's they did have a flat backstrap, they were designed with the safety's. If he will either be uninformed about his 1911 Facts or lies intentionally, either way I do not take stock in someone mis-stating intentionally or not.

I have seen too many Glocks go. I trust the gun store that won't carry Taurus just to sell them when they are not up to par. I say if you like Glocks and they work for you. Use them. If you have the Taurus ditto. Hell if you have only the Hi-Point and they work for you great. I got the 9 and the 45 less than 400 for the pair. They are I don't care guns. The only real issues with Hi-Point is cheap mags, and ugly guns. The mags need to be bent at the top just a hair, and the feed ramp polished, (they paint it) and not one jamb not one FTF or FTE. Too bulky to CCW but great range guns for just shooting. Don't care if you get them messy.

I personally would trust my 1966 surplus Hungarian FEG PA-63 before I would a Glock. I have stood side by side with a Glock guy and his 9mm with my XD 40 I shot 300 rds no problems different boxes of ammo HP and Ball. He had Jamming problems. If Glocks always work why have I seen them fail?

As I said if you have no issues carry what you do. American Handgunner tried the XD-9mm when released a month after I bought my XD-40. 12000 rds fired, then they did another 5000 after freezing, sticking it in sand, mud and water. No failures. I will sooner rather then later put that many rds thru mine. So far so good. I average 200-300 rds every range trip. My mags can still cause me to cut my thumbs when reloading. I finally got a mag loader.

I do not like Glocks personally. But if they work for you then fine.

ADulay

nra
Army
airforce
nra instructor
Mike,

Hey! I wasn't trying to yell at anybody. It was my subtle attempt at humor and Glock bashing!!

I've got three 40 year old guns here (all Smith & Wessons!) that I would trust my life with. Two automatics and one revolver. I've also got three Glocks that I DO trust my life with! The rest of my older collection has been traded or given away as I just couldn't see myself carrying them FOR REAL, so there was no point in keeping them hanging around on the shelf.

I really have no animosity towards anyone's choice of guns as it is a personal thing. Some guys just go nuts over 1911's and although I'd like to own one, I can't see me purchasing one in the near future. It's just not something I'd buy to replace the Glock, especially in 45ACP.

If I've offended anyone, I honestly apologize as no harm was intended.

AD (so maybe comedy isn't my strong suit, eh?)

Not offended at all. I was just on a rant. You are fine.

I cannot stand the 40 cal bashing. I watched Yeager bashing the 40 and the 1911. he has got allies in that fight. True the tolerances in todays 1911's are tighter and therefore most actually need a break in of 200-500 rds. The old ones were not assembly line built and ran like AK's. Shake them from side to side and they rattle. Dirt, mud, water they worked.

There are zealots on 1911's and Glocks. Just like beer, hot sauces, Chevy's or Fords, or a certain religion. Someone can try to convince me on what you like or prefer but I want an honest opinion, not my way or the highway kinda thing. Like Yeager's quote, "If it is not a 9mm, and it's not a Glock, it ain't S*^&"

Gun "experts" need to get off their soapboxes and try to bring into the gun "community" people more people without the hatin' on calibers or brands. Fit the gun to the person. Don't preach to them about why this "other" one sucks. It's like the Old Milford Gun Shop in Milford Ohio. Years ago I walked in there to buy a 1911 and didn't spend a lot of time looking because he was a jerk. Just walked in early this year after I found out from the Surplus and gun guy across the street he has completely changed. He was a heavy drinker. He has stopped drinking. Now he actually has a sense of humor and is a nice guy, without the booze haze.

I don't really bash Glocks or Tauras, just give info that I get.

And AD if you likes the 45 try the Springfield XDs just remember when you put one in your hand you may just toss your Glocks. :D

diesel

vip
nra
GOA Member
First off, i can't remeber any other post on this site garnering so much attention. Says something about our loyalties and individualism. Congrats to whoever started this post.

All mechanical implements fail at one time or another, and pistols are as mechanical as it gets. Your going to, at some time or another, have a failure, be it a Taurus or Smith or Colt. Personally, i have much more confidence in a revolver than an auto. Call me old-school or hard-headed, but i just don't trust that many parts moving in syncronition as compared to the moving parts of a revovler.
I also prefer "the bigger, the better" school of thought. I think that says something unflattering about my personality?:question:

Again, i'll take my .357 or .44mag. anytime for a carry piece, over even my 1911. Be that as it may, choice of a protection piece is truely a personnal matter.

And remember, if you can't hit what your aiming at, especially in a life or death situation, it really doesn't matter what weapon your using.:flag:

Last edited:

ADulay

nra
Army
airforce
nra instructor
Again, i'll take my .357 or .44mag. anytime for a carry piece, over even my 1911. Be that as it may, choice of a protection piece is truely a personnal matter.
Diesel,

Yep, it's a personal matter for sure.

From time to time I have to carry the old, standby Walther PPK/S in .380. For many years this was my primary daily carry gun but has since been relegated to the role of strictly a backup gun now.

When you get used to carrying a larger caliber (any of the "4's") you get comfortable with it and it then becomes normal and standard.

When I'm reduced to carrying the .380, I actually feel "undergunned" and am very careful in what I do, even moreso that normal!

The illusion of size and what is "normal" is not only in guns.

True story . . . . (oh no, not another lame story from this guy). . .

Anyway, most people, when seeing a Boeing 747 up close, are amazed by the overall size and scope of the airplane. Seeing the inside of a cargo 747 just blows them away. I was like that when I first got on the airplane. After a few months, the awe of the size was still there, BUT IT WAS NOW THE NORM for me!

I'd fly the thing all over and occasionally I'd have to ride in the front of something like a 727 or 737 to catch a ride home. Then I was amazed by just how SMALL those jets were! There were times when I thought my butt was going to drag on the ground sitting in the jumpseat!

The point being, once you become used to a particular caliber, and get used to seeing it and using it, anything smaller becomes noticibly smaller, even 9mm when coming from 45ACP.

I'm sure I was going somewhere with this but I think the second helping of turkey and potatoes is kicking in and I'm going into some kind of food induced shock I think.

Ah yes, the original topic....

As the .40S&W was not my first choice in a defensive gun, I've since come to enjoy carrying it and feel good with that particular gun on my belt (Glock 23). It fills in for the 45 when I need it and I have no problems carrying it for every day carry. The PPK, well that gives me a bit of grief now, but I can deal with it.

AD (time for my next feeding)

rjrivero

nra
nra instructor
I used to be part of the bigger is better crowd. With current bullet design, I don't feel under-gunned with a 9mm in a holster on my side. I have met many instructors who are giving the edge to capacity over caliber because of the increasing number of multiple attacker events happening.
Excellent points by Mr. David Spalding of Handguncombatives.com

He got his Masters Degree in this stuff. [video=youtube;bWMGBCVtTrM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bWMGBCVtTrM#![/video]

ADulay

nra
Army
airforce
nra instructor
Just a super quick reply here.....

It won't matter what caliber you're shooting if you can't hit the target first shot out, and in a "timely manner".

Be sure you can draw, shoot and hit something from whatever your normal, daily carry method is.

Get to the range and time it so you'll have a baseline to know when you NEED to get some practice in.

There's not a lot of need to practice drawing from an open holster on your belt if you normally carry "inside" or in the small of your back!

It's one of the reasons I really love our monthly "night shoots". Nobody ever practices that and drawing, moving and shooting in the dark really makes people think about what they need to work on!!

AD (sermon mode off)

whitewolf68

Army
Site Owner
nra
Army
Very good points made AD. I know that I am really nervous about doing that and there currently is no place for me to practice such maneuvers. :(

That is why next time out on the range practice P.S. (Point Shooting) Place your index finger along the side of you pistol and point where you want to shoot, HOLD, THEN look down the sights, see how close to "On-Target" you are. Then start practicing PS without sights. You can use it off hand, falling, moving in all directions, laying down on your side, belly.....etc.... enough practice and it becomes natural, or instictive.

Just remember COLT 1911's US Military had poor sites yet Soldiers and Marines could shoot. Sights are for rifles. Pistols are for close in, and the more natural you can target quickly the better off you are.

PS with empty and train your hand and arm to your eye. Then try 1 shot at a time then 2 rds...etc...

No matter who the "experts" are and how much they poo poo PS, it does work. So while bigger bullets can do more damage, being on target with anything can do more. And PS keeps you on target no matter the good stance, hold balance, or sights you have.

Have to say I am glad I don't buy into the " go big or go home". When I started to shoot and then carry I had a .38 special snub. Then I got a sr9c because I wanted more bullets to be honest.

While those nice BIG guns might be great for some I have to look at it like this. Full mag on target from my 9 or 1 or 2 shots from a 40 maybe or maybe not on target. On target is where it needs to be. In my world one shot might not be enough.

I think what you can handle and have on target with each shot is what you should carry.

I don't have a love for any brand. Maybe this is good since I don't look down on many brands. I have a taurus 709 that takes anything I put into it without problems. I have an old taurus .38 special snub that does the same. My sr9c loves anything I want to feed it so far without a problem. I have my eye on a glock 19 lol but the smith and wesson m& p is pretty nice too lol.

Woman might think bigger is better but for some reason we don't seem to scream it from the roof tops like men do about everything we put into our hands like they do lol.

Last edited:

rjrivero

nra
nra instructor
In my world one shot might not be enough.
In a handgun, a one shot stop is a fairy tale. The only way to stop an assailant is:

1. Change his mind and he aborts the attack: Sometimes the sight of the gun or a bullet whizzing by is enough for an attacker to re-think thier strategy and turn tail.

2. Drain the hydraulics: Cause enough blood loss to end the attack. If you sever your carotid artery, you have 90 seconds of conciousness prior to blood pressure to drop enough to effect conciousness.

3. Turn off the light switch: Disrupt the communication of the brain to the body. Can be an immediate stop. Really the only "one stop shot."

4. Take away his ability to physically execute his attack: Physiologic tissue destruction of a limb/pelvis support. If they can't stand, they can't fight. This can be variable depending on the mindset of the attacker and the pharmaceutical cocktail they may or may not have on board at the time.

In a handgun, a one shot stop is a fairy tale. The only way to stop an assailant is:

1. Change his mind and he aborts the attack: Sometimes the sight of the gun or a bullet whizzing by is enough for an attacker to re-think thier strategy and turn tail.

2. Drain the hydraulics: Cause enough blood loss to end the attack. If you sever your carotid artery, you have 90 seconds of conciousness prior to blood pressure to drop enough to effect conciousness.

3. Turn off the light switch: Disrupt the communication of the brain to the body. Can be an immediate stop. Really the only "one stop shot."

4. Take away his ability to physically execute his attack: Physiologic tissue destruction of a limb/pelvis support. If they can't stand, they can't fight. This can be variable depending on the mindset of the attacker and the pharmaceutical cocktail they may or may not have on board at the time.
Exactly what I am talking about. The more I can shoot into the threat accurately and the faster I can do it the safer I will be.