bullet powder coating

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by oldman10mm, March 23, 2014.

1. has anybody attempted/done any powder coating of cast bullets ? I see it on other gun forums,just curious if anyone here has.

2. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    I've not tried it but read about on Cast Boolits .Com also read about Ben's Red lube read but I use White's Lube.

3. a question for those that cast handgun bullets. Couldn't a ball bearing(of appropriate size) be dropped into the mold before the lead is poured in to produce a hollow point.

4. No a ball bearing in the mold would not work.
    You can check up a single cavity mold in your lathe and drill a hole in the end then turn down a plug with the proper tip on the end to insert in the end of the mold.
    RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

Last edited: March 23, 2014
  5. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    Why not buy a custom mold with the pins to make hollow points. By the time you use the ball bearing method you get tried of the total process. That would be like drilling hollow points in a drill press. Just to time consuming for my taste some will pore bullets with two different alloys soft for the nose harder for the middle to the base. The alloy hardness and lube is the key to no leading and bullet expansion. Plus bullet to bore size is also very important to leading throat size forcing cone cut at 11 degrees. Elmer Keith had things right but tinkering around never hurts. Are you on Cast Bollits Forum ? Like here there are a lot of very good people who know more than me. I've been shooting cast bullets since the 80's. There's people who use hex key bullets with the tip pointed in there molds.

Last edited: March 23, 2014
  6. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    RICHGCOOP Sir do you shoot cast boolits and do you cast I thought you did. Have you ever use the old Lee 214gr SWC mold from Lee. I have a single cavity .44 caliber I'm Not using its not the tumble lube. Is Oldman 10mm starting to cast?

7. Yes I have been casting for over 50 years. I have used the Lee 214 & 255gr Lee SWC.
    What I like is my 4 cavity Lyman 250 gr keith type mold for 44 mag.
    For 357 mag I use my 4 cavity keith type Lyman 150 gr swc.
    9 mm a Lee 102gr RN & 105 Lee SWC.
    My 45 ACP I am playing around with different molds.
    12 GA slugs. Round ball. 311-.360-.330-.399-.457-.490-575-.950 just to name a fue.

RICHGCOOP

DROID3 - Tap talk

8. Here is just a hand full.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is a sweding die I made for my Colt 32acp about 50 years ago, all you could get back then was FMJ.

9. Not started yet,but asking questions. Since I found my Lee 2 bullet mold I bought back in the 80s',just investigating. A .356" 120gr TC double mold.

10. this is what I was referring to by dropping a ball bearing into the mold to create a hollow point before the lead is poured in. the ball is resting against the diameter and not at the tip so lead should only fill to that circumference that is being blocked by the ball.

[​IMG]

11. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    Is it a fairly snug fit and what about movement when pouring. Lead being heavier than steel would it upset when pouring. Try it and post your findings. I think the ball bearing will not release from the lead very easy.

12. I have powder coated several thousand bullets . At the start it waz trial and error but i have it down pat now and do all of my cast bulletz this way although i only cast pistol calibers.

I have found if you use a high quality powder (not harbor frieghts) you dont need to use a powder gun. Below is a video i made

http://youtu.be/sr6oi3xJ7Bg

Last edited: March 24, 2014
  13. Ok I have been following this thread and as a caster I am curious what powder coating the bullet does. Sorry if that seems like a noob question but I have not encountered this before.

14. from what I've been reading on other forums,powder coating is a DIY version of plating. The powder coating is bonded with the heat treatment(400 degrees oven) and doesn't flake off and prevents leading and lube not required. I haven't done it,this is just what's on other forums.

15. diesel

diesel

It's main benefit is it keeps ones barrel from lead fouling. This fouling can get pretty bad with soft lead cast bullets.
    "Shooters Choice" is a product i use on badly lead-fouled barrels. It works pretty well, but it needs to soak for a while.

16. Oldman10mm i could not of said it better. I shot most of my cast threw a glock with the factoy barrel . No leading what so ever. You also do not need the expensive lube sizer equipment you only need a lee sizer which is about 16.00 a calber

17. Since I haven't starting casting(YET),I'm trying to read up on what I want to do once I start. Making hollow points and powder coating. The powder coating could/would also be applied/used for my other endeavor of automotive. Powder coating,supposedly,adds .001-.002" material,so my .356" 9mm mold would become .357-.358" for 38/357.

18. Thank you for the information on the powder coating but NOW I am gonna have to spend more money on things for my reloading bench. I am curious about this powder coating system now. DAMNIT!:cuss:

P.S. I also want a vacuum sealer now too. :banghead:

19. SORRY,my intention for starting this thread was to be able to cast a few bullets with hollow points and then powder coat them neon green for 'zombie' bullets.

the popular inexpensive one seems to be the harbor freight one.

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-30-psi-powder-coating-system-94244.html

but supplied air pressure of 10-30 psi is required.

Summits'

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/xyz-01-07100/overview/

has built in compressor

also Eastwood

http://www.eastwood.com/paints/hotcoat-powder-coating.html

Last edited: March 25, 2014
  20. No worries. I am not really mad just trying to figure out what I want next and how much I am going to have to spend. I always see something else that others are doing and then want to try that too. I swear this is an addiction. LOL

Where is the 12 step program for reloaders anonymous??