Bought another Moist Nugget (Mosin Nagant)

Discussion in 'Curios & Relics Corner' started by Thrash Addict, April 2, 2014.

1. And Moist doesn't even begin to describe it. It's a 91/30 I picked up at a gun show this past weekend. Came with the bayonet, the tool kit, some ammo pouches and sling. And it looked like the whole lot of it was just pulled out of a drum of cosmoline and thrown in the box. This thing was just caked in it! And my oil bottle is so full of the stuff just... I have never seen one with so much on/ in it! inspecting the rifle was impossible! So I wiped enough away I could make out the Russian markings, and had the dealer push the crud filling the barrel (and I literally mean FULL!) out so I could see if the barrel was in good shape. Fortunately it is. He was selling it for about $140... Talked him down to $100 and a couple Aluminum AR mags.:)

Pictures before cleaning:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After cleaning:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. diesel

diesel

Looks like a great piece, Thrash. Any rifle that fires is worth a hundred.
    Congrats on an inexpensive, good look'n rifle!:clap: :flag:

3. MikeH121

MikeH121

Let it sit ini the sun and heat up don't steam it or any others advice. Or just spend time and wipe it away. Cosmo will stay in the pores of the wood for a while.

Of course I commited sacrilege, I sanded the wood to take off the patina. I wanted the natural color.

I like blondes:rofl:

P5170100.JPG

4. Everyone should have one. Here is mine.

[​IMG]

RICHGCOOP

5. ^ Looks good. I have 2. My 91/30 made in 1940, and my Chinese Type 53 (M44 clone). Mike, nothing wrong with blondes, but I prefer the burn marks, scratches, nicks and dents left as they were. Though this rifle is common as air, it is a piece of WW2 history. Hence I am perfectly ok with its battle scars. ;)

6. MikeH121

MikeH121

I have some battle scars from blondes myself :D

I got mine for 75 bucks just uncrated at a local LGS he didn't want to clean it. It has a custom made scope mount.

And a long eye relief scope on top o dat.

scope1.JPG

7. I've been looking into finding a way to scope my Mosin without permanently altering it (such as drilling & tapping the receiver). This seems like the route I'll be going. ;)
    [video=youtube;dOmqUdhJm_8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOmqUdhJm_8&feature=player_embedded[/video]

8. MikeH121

MikeH121

The only thing I did was removed the pins replaced with nuts, bolts and a lock ring. The sight is under that, and I can look thru it.

P6150123.JPG

PA170200.JPG

9. I like. How good is the sight picture on the long eye relief scopes?

10. MikeH121

MikeH121

There is a margin of error in looking. You have degrees of movement 360, where it is clear move you head just a bit and you lose it. Takes a bit of getting used to it but it works. The image is clear at 100 yards.

Its a 2-7x32. Not a $1000.00 + piece of glass, but its on a 75 buck surplus rifle. Good for the range and would be good for hunting. Bushnell has a LYR Scope for not bad a price. But this was from Amazon and cheaper.

11. About like I expected then. I do think I'll put one on my T53 Mosin.