Black Swamp Carbine Group

Discussion in 'Tactics & Training' started by rjrivero, August 2, 2012.

1. rjrivero

rjrivero

Do you have a modern battle rifle? (AR/AK etc) with a Sling?

Have a pistol with a holster?

You have what it takes to come out and shoot with the Black Swamp Carbine Group!!

SUMMARY AND COURSE OF FIRE: Tactical shooting with modern rifles and pistols. No scoring. A variety of courses of fire such as the use of barricades, moving while firing, changing positions, weak-hand firing, magazine changes, etc. We share knowledge, skills, and drills. We run a hot range with slung rifles. A group of like-minded people gathered to share their knowledge of modern platforms of defense, and it evolved into an organized shoot to continue this and involve others. Check out the pictures below!

EQUIPMENT: Ear and eye protection, modern box magazine-fed carbine/rifle of intermediate caliber (AR-15, AK-47, etc.), rifle sling, modern pistol (9mm up to .45 caliber), at least three magazines per firearm, magazine pouches, approximately 300 rounds per firearm.

WHEN: First Sunday of each month, January through November. Set up 11:00 a.m., new shooters 11:30 a.m., start time 12:00 p.m. (ends about 5:00 p.m.)

2012 SCHEDULE: January 1, February 5, March 4, April 1, May 6, June 3, August 5, September 2, October 7, November 4.

COST: Members and non-members $25. $10 is returned to each participant that stays for brass cleanup.

Director’s note: Please come and join in the fun and do not let a lack of gear stop you from attending. Just bring the basics and you will be fine. You will quickly find out what works and what doesn’t, what you like and what you don’t.

Next shoot is Sunday August 5th.

See you on the range!!

LINK HERE to the BSC Webpage.

2. Interesting.

3. rjrivero

rjrivero

Today's shoot was a lot of fun. Rain was done and the range was nice and sunny most of the day. Next month is shotgun month, so instead of the carbine we will be working with shotguns. Bring 100 rounds of bird shot, 25 rounds of buck shot, and 10 slugs if you are coming next month!!

4. Something link that JUST might get me out there. I love shotguns and load my own shells with #9 shot and use the military grade 00 buck shells as well. I will have to get some slugs, I've not shot those yet. ;)

5. rjrivero

rjrivero

Just to whet the appetite a little bit more: Some pictures from Sunday. Really the 11.5" SBR with the M4S did a nice job. I was able to put shots on steel at 300 yards as long as I did my part!

Left To right:

Kneeling from a doorway (using cover).
    Practicing the kneeling position: 300 yard gong
    Left handed (weak side shooting)
    Learning how to shoot LOW PRONE (Simulating using Low cover, like from under a car.)

Last edited: August 6, 2012
  6. rjrivero

rjrivero

Tell ya what. If you come out next month, The slugs are on me! That's right. You bring your shottie and your handloads, and I'll bring you slugs to shoot for the day....

7. Loved the pics from the last shoot. Looks like most of you guys are shooting with suppressors. I just have a standard AR-15 nothing fancy or anything but I did buy it many, many years ago shortly after the Clinton ban went into effect from a private owner for a pretty penny. Who knew that the ban would actually fade away and they would get more affordable with more options. :banghead:

Your really making me think about this now.:whistle: I am not the best shot as I have no range to shoot at currently so I cannot guarantee an un-embarrassing day. I will take to the misses about it and see if she has anything planned for that weekend.

8. rjrivero

rjrivero

Actually, we just shoot what you bring. There were 3 of us with suppressors last month, which is about the norm. Everyone needs ears, so suppressors are personal choice. The whole idea is to see how your gear runs, and what you want/need for your own set of circumstances. This was the first time putting the M4S through it's paces. That short suppressor isn't hearing safe, but it does take the edge off of the muzzle blast, especially on that short barreled AR.

You will need a sling ("Combat sling" preferred) and a holster for your handgun. About 300 rounds of handgun ammo. Realistically we'll get through maybe 200 rounds handgun. 100 Rounds birdshot, 25 rounds buck shot, 10 rounds of slugs. It'll be a big bang day!

The emphasis of this shoot is to get used to your gear and to instill safe gun handling techniques. We don't keep score, and this is on purpose. If folks want to shoot 3 gun, then they should shoot three gun. If they want to learn how to run their gear, then this is for you!

Last edited: August 7, 2012
  9. This sounds like a lot of fun. My next purchase hopefully when I get a job is to get a short barrel upper for my AR and hopefully soon a suppressor as well.

I like the fact that you don't keep score and it's all about the technique and learning. Like I said I am not the best shot but I can handle myself if need be in a time of crisis, I hope.

Sounds like I will have to get my gear together and see what I have for rounds, which should not be a problem. Only last check I have to do is with the in-keeper here and see what she has planned. ;) I really need to get some range time in as it's been so long since I've really been shooting.

10. Quick question, what do you consider a "combat sling". Right now I do not have one on there. Any images for one I can reference?

11. rjrivero

rjrivero

Your Sling choice will be up to you. I prefer the Wilderness Giles sling for my Benelli M1. Truth be told, I prefer the Magpul MS3 Sling system for just about anything, but it does cost more to get the adapters for the MS3 for most shotguns. If you decide to go that way, consider GG&G for your sling attachement mounts for your shotgun.

Regards.

RJ

Wilderness Giles Sling
    GG&G Shotgun Sling Attachments.

12. Awesome. I thought it was a very special type of sling but looks pretty similar to the ones I have on my other rifles. I will have to make a trip to Cabelas and see what I can find.

Thank you for the heads up.

13. rjrivero

rjrivero

The big drawback with the Giles sling is that there is no easy way to go from dominant side to weak side. It's not always useful to "slice the pie" when you have cover on the off side, from the strong side.

14. Just to make sure i have this right. A standard sling is ok?? Or do I need a single point contact sling??

15. rjrivero

rjrivero

"Standard" isn't really going to do it. You want to be able to keep the gun in low ready while slung. Single points work well for the work we do out there, but two points are better for "constant use" firearms. Bring what you have. You'll learn what you like only by the experience of flailing with your gear.

16. Well damnit anyhow. Now I am worried I don't have the proper gear. :mad:

I have no place for single point sling.

Does Adco sell the GGG-1399?

Last edited: August 23, 2012
  17. rjrivero

rjrivero

No. We don't have the shotgun stuff. Sad, but the fact that the shotgun stuff just doesn't sell well really limits our selection. You can use paracord to wrap around the top of the handle and clip on it with a single point if you have one. Otherwise, if you order from GG&G it should be here by mid week. Again, it's not CRITICAL that you have all the gear. What's CRITICAL is you get out and run the gear you got!

With some paracord and some ingenuity, you can make your "standard" work for this evolution. Just come and run what you have.

18. Well I just ordered the GGG-1399 from an e-bay seller and it should be here by the 28th, well it damn well better be. =)

Now to go sling shopping. You do know your bad on my wallet RJ. :D

19. Absolutely, 100% correct.

Many people buy equipment and guns but never use them in the environment that they believe they are preparing for. Some very interesting surprises will show up soon enough under the pressure of a live shoot.

I had that "epiphany" while shooting a dark, night stage in IDPA.

What I thought would work nicely FOR YEARS turned out to be horribly inefficient and I immediately changed my ideas on night shooting in general. I now have what works for ME and I've proved it under the clock and in front of a lot of friends.

Shooting your equipment in a real time scenario (instead of a static range) really opens your eyes to what you have.

AD

20. WOW, you guys are giving me a lot of food for thought.

Like you I've prepared myself best that I can for certain scenarios and hope that I can react like I need too should the need arise.

I suppose I need some more practice with various techniques too. Hopefully the shoot on the 3rd will not be a total embarrassment to me.

I look forward to getting out on the range and learning some new things and most of all getting some shooting practice in. :)