Basic Knife Class in NW Ohio

Discussion in 'Tactics & Training' started by rjrivero, October 13, 2012.

1. rjrivero

rjrivero

I have taken a seminar with Greg at the Paul-E-Palooza training event. He's an instructor at TDI, and is held in high esteem in the training community. He had a hand in design and development of the TDI K-Bar knife program. I have no affiliation with his school. I will be attending this class. In my estimation, this is going to be $50 well spent!

Last edited: October 13, 2012
  2. rjrivero

rjrivero

Basic Knife Class After Action Report

The class was well attended with 25 participants. The building was a perfect set up for this kind of class and plenty of room for individual drills as well as small group drills. Greg covered different types of folding knife locking mechanisms, and the strengths and weaknesses of the common lock types. We went over some features you may want in a fighting knife. He also covered strengths and weaknesses of carrying a knife in different positions. He covered the same 12 cut method that is taught with the TDI knife class both right and left handed. He covered mechanics of a knife cut, and cutting techniques that maximize the effect of even small blades. This was coupled with anatomic targeting for most effective altercation stopping with a blade.

With the partner drills we practised targeting with ranging and distance. We moved to cutting out of a typical tie ups and holds. We also covered handgun retention techniques both empty hand as well as knife techniques for handgun retention.

Greg also covered some legal aspects pertaining to carrying a knife in Ohio. We discussed knife alternatives that can be used in non-permissive environments.

I'm sure there is more that I am neglecting at the moment, but I'll post more when I remember it.

View attachment 278 View attachment 279