• For those that are or may be expiriencing login issues, please try using https://www.ohgunowners.net

That seems to resolve the problem some have been having.

Also if you'd like to use the secure connection obviously you can with out problem.

If you do have any issues please use the contact link at the bottom to let me know so I can look further into it.

Thank you,

Andy

Back in Ohio

Thrash Addict

I moved back this past weekend. Damn I missed this place... It's kind of like a drunk uncle. Lol

A little busy job hunting at the moment, but soon I hope to be out shooting! The past few days have been spotty for it here in Knox County and today was just crappy for it (50 and rainy).

reaper66

Welcome home Thrash!
Just out of curiosity, where is Knox County?

Sent from my PantechP4100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

diesel

vip
nra
GOA Member
Knox county, south central part of the state, the heart of it all if your a hunter. Top ten most every year for total deer kill and some true Brutes come from that county.

Hey Thrash, if you ever need a hunt'n partner in Knox county, give me a call!!!:D :flag:

Last edited:

Thrash Addict

^ Yup. About 45 minutes to an hour north-east of Columbus depending on how you drive.

And yes Diesel, some damn good deer runnin' around here. My grandpa shot one and was just shy of breaking state record, and has several 10 points and over. My brothers first buck was 11 points and mine was 8. Depending on just what lands I can get my dibs on to hunt you're more than welcome to join this fall Diesel. ;)

diesel

vip
nra
GOA Member
I believe what you say about your quality deer there, I've heard this many times. I've a friend with a sister in Coshocton county who also killed some monsters. Of course it's a family only zone and I've never had the pleasure of hunting there. His young son killed 180" PLUS there about 7 or 8 years ago.
I'd love to hook up with you Thrash and experience an opportunity to harvest a big buck. It'd be worth a couple bottles of homemade wine to me and if successful, several quart jars of canned deer rump roast. One has not experienced the true wonderful taste of deer meat until he has tasted it canned.:thumbs: :flag:

daniellawecki

Army
vip
Army
My friend Speedy cans deer man its awesome. Never heard about canning deer till 2 years ago my sister- in -law cans but not deer.

reaper66

Canned venison. Never heard of it. Sounds yummy.
Somebody needs to point me in the right direction for some of that!

Sent from my PantechP4100 using Tapatalk

daniellawecki

Army
vip
Army
When I see Speedy I'll get a few cans. He's one of my shooting buddies from high school class of 1974.

Last edited:

diesel

vip
nra
GOA Member
It's pretty simple, Reap, if you own a pressure canner.
RECIPE;
1 clove of garlic,
1 bullion cube (beef of course)
pack with cubed deer meat (trimmed of fat and sinew)
place in clean jars, seal, and can at 11lbs. of pressure for I believe 45-to an hour

i'll have to check that canning time and get back to you, Reap.

I bought a HUGH pressure canner at Wal mart about 8 or 9 years ago for 69 bucks. i'd imagine it's still close to that price today plus maybe $10.:D

you need that amount of time and heat to make it safe. one can't cheat on the time or pressure level. it's well worth the effort though, the BEST deer meat I ever had!:flag:

reaper66

If I decide to get back into hunting I will definitely try that.
Thanks D!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Thrash Addict

I dunno that I'd say canned is best, but if done right it is damn good!

Maybe I've been down south too long, but my buddy heath showed me to take some of the tougher cuts of meat, give them a salt water bath, season them, tenderize them, then render the fat, bread the steaks and fry them. Next to back straps off a charcoal grill, this is my favorite.

daniellawecki

Army
vip
Army
Saltwater brine tenderizes the meat adds flavor. Meat cooks faster as well some will add brown sugar. There are many benefits to doing this Google saltwater brine pork chicken turkey red meat all work well and taste great.

diesel

vip
nra
GOA Member
I'll try this as well, Thrash. I'm always looking for new ways to cook game.

Hunted my ass off all spring for a turkey. Rolled one opening day but didn't kill it. Called one in the second Sat. and my young neighbor boy, 22yrs. old, killed it. (which made me happy it was his first one 20lbs.) And then didn't even hear one for the next two weeks.
Then on my way to school the other day;
For some reason, i'm unable to upload this video. Anyways, I bought a Contuor HelmetCam from a young guy at school for $50. This is a several hundred dollar camera. Has a built-in GPS and shoots in 1080HD. Had it in the truck and got some cool vid of a decent gobbler crossing the road in front of me.:flag:

Last edited:

Thrash Addict

I got back to Ohio just a few days before Turkey season ended and didn't get to hunt it. Apparently the hunting gods weren't smiling on Knox County this season, not a lot of people got anything, and nobody got one worth bragging about so I didn't miss much. At least there's still the fall Turkey season before Deer season starts. :)

dogshawred

Have been canning Deer for years. Absolute best taste you can ever imagine. I have even made Deer Mincemeat for Mincemeat pies. It is from a recipe my wife's grandfather used when he slaughter hogs. The original recipe reads "1 hogs head".
~
Dam you guys, now I'm going to have to make a pie.

diesel

vip
nra
GOA Member
That's great, Dog, I always like your posts......lol
My season was pretty weird. First day, I had one hang up on me at 55-70 yards. I believed all the forums i'd been reading, unfortunately. These boys all pretty much agreed the new Federal #7 Hevi in 3 1/2" Super would kill at that range. Perhaps if I would have hit that big boy in the head I might have killed him after my very poor low shot, all I did was roll him...up and gone.
Got another chance in week two and by chance, the bird I had called in went straight to my neighbor boy instead of me. No hard feeling as I was very happy to see "Kyle" kill his first bird at 22 years old. 20 pounder with a frozen off beard.:flag:

View attachment 824View attachment 825

He killed this big bird on April 26. ;)

Last edited:

Thrash Addict

First turkey and he's 22 years old? Yeah, he needed it more than you did. Hope he enjoyed the hunt and the meat. :) Me and my little brother took our first turkeys when we were 12 & 10. Using Rossi 20 gage youth models (break action single barrel), 2 3/4" bird shot. Nobody bought a turkey for Thanksgiving that year in my family. ;)

diesel

vip
nra
GOA Member
Very nice, Thrash. When I was 10-12 there were none to very few turkeys in Ohio. One had a better chance of seeing a bigfoot than a turkey back in the 60's, very few deer (in my area) as well.
But all things being equal, there was a pheasant behind every bush in those days. Also, cottontails galore.
I believe the 2 back-to-back harsh winters of "77-78 + 78-79" did in our pheasant population as well as our quail. The quail were VERY prevalent on the farm country here in NE Ohio at that time and many grouse too if one got in the right area. My hillside was full of them up until around the 80's.:flag:

dogshawred

Diesel, Thrash, I don't want to make you guys feel bad, ah what the hell. I am sitting at my computer watching oh about 25-30 turkeys feed in my side yard. Some them are still inside the tree line so I can't get a clean count. I call it my outdoor pantry, I have trails on both side of the house that deer use to get to their feed lot. I try not to disturb this pattern for future use when we really need it, don't ya know.