Arizona Permit?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues & Self Defense' started by whitewolf68, August 22, 2012.

1. Anyone have information on how to obtain an AZ permit? I have read a couple of places, randomly, that the required Ohio training of 12 hours will be honored in AZ for a permit. I've searched the AZ site for the application and came up with bupkiss. I also was unable to verify that the training can be waived also but I am hopeful. :D

2. PrepperTraining

PrepperTraining

My understanding is that any NRA course is all the training required.

Looking at the AZ Department of Public Safety site: Arizona Revised Statutes - Arizona Department of Public Safety
    Section E says "E. The department of public safety shall issue a permit to an applicant who meets all of the following conditions:"
    Section E6 says: "6. Has ever demonstrated competence with a firearm as prescribed by subsection N of this section and provides adequate documentation that the person has satisfactorily completed a training program or demonstrated competence with a firearm in any state or political subdivision in the United States. For the purposes of this paragraph, "adequate documentation" means:"
    E6(b) says: "(b) An original or copy of a certificate, card or document that shows the applicant has ever completed any course or class prescribed by subsection N of this section"

Skipping down to section N....
    N says "N. An applicant shall demonstrate competence with a firearm through any of the following:"
    N2 says: "2. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Arizona game and fish department or a similar agency of another state."
    N3 says: "3. Completion of any national rifle association firearms safety or training course."

Enough quoting, you can read the rest if you like. It looks pretty wide open...

Joe

3. Thank you for the info Joe. I will have to dig deeper into this. It would be nice to have a AZ License as well for reciprocity purposes. I just need to find the applications link now. LOL

Thank you again sir.

4. and don't forget N 6

So all you need to supply is a copy of your OH permit.

The application isn't online. Contact AZDPS and ask them to send you an app packet. There is a fingerprint card as well.

Last edited: August 24, 2012
  5. I will be calling them on Monday to get a packet. This is just AWESOME! [​IMG][​IMG]

6. Keep in mind...the return envelope they will send you is exactly big enough for the finger print card...which would require knowledge of origami to get the application itself to fit. :p

I simply used my own 9x12 envelope to send it all back in.

7. Thanks for the heads up on that. My origami skills are not what they used to be. :lol:

8. Just called and got the packet coming in the mail. Look forward to getting the AZ license.

9. When I got mine...Oct 2010...it was 14 days from mailbox to mailbox. Now it's taking closer to 2 months. I think AZ has become the new FL. Much cheaper and covers almost the same states.

10. Well I am not in a huge hurry. I just think it will be nice to have reciprocity reasons obviously. I can see why AZ has become so popular and I think it sends a clear message too.

Last edited: September 2, 2012
  11. Received my AZ packet with the app and card. My next question is where do you go to get finger prints done? Does it have to be a police agency of some sort or can I do it at home?

12. Does NOT have to be LEA. If you can do it at home, go for it.

See what I was referring to about the return envelope?

13. GREAT! I will be doing this this week then, money permitting.

Ummm, I think they got the hint from you. They sent my packet in a 10x13 envelope with the return envelope being a 9x12. :D

14. Nice! They use to use 8x8 envelopes. :)