• For those that are or may be expiriencing login issues, please try using https://www.ohgunowners.net

That seems to resolve the problem some have been having.

Also if you'd like to use the secure connection obviously you can with out problem.

If you do have any issues please use the contact link at the bottom to let me know so I can look further into it.

Thank you,

Andy

AR, Carbine, fun gun.

Ive posted before about Sig's mpx carbine. And though it looks like a gun ide buy, sig might not sell the thing due to the atf. So that brings me to my next purchase/build.

Im looking for a rifle like the mpx. Or an ar-15 in 9mm or 223/556, sbr, extended hand guards that come just shy of the end of the suppressor.

So all you ar experts steer me in the right direction. Should i go 9mm or 223/556? Not looking for long range. Max of 100 yrds. Mainly just a fun gun. But i also want this thing to be lethal enough in a home protection situation.

Ideal ar build 223/556 or 9mm

The mpx carbine that ide like to replicate the idea.

Shoot Strait!

diesel

vip
nra
GOA Member
That's a great looker, Jake, but 2 grand seems like quite a lot to me.
Then again, my friend, to each..his own.:flag:

That's a great looker, Jake, but 2 grand seems like quite a lot to me.
Then again, my friend, to each..his own.:flag:
Well the way i look at it the mpx is a deal for what your getting.2000+ the 200 suppressor tax stamp.

If i were to re create it, this is what it would look like.
Suppressor- 800
Tax stamp-200
Sbr job-200
Tax stamp-200
Leaving me-800 bucks for the rifle its self.
Its doable but ide rather buy the mpx. Being that its a dedicated platform, switchable from 9mm-357 sig-40s&w. Well that should say it all. For what you getting for what your paying the mpx sure is a great deal vs a custom build/recreation.

Shoot Strait!

rjrivero

nra
nra instructor
I have AR SBR's in 5.56 and 9mm flavors. They're both fun guns and either one would be pretty good for inside of 100 yards. A suppressed 9mm SBR is as fun as they come. I just built this upper with a 5" barrel and a Liberty Mystic under an ALG Defense Hand Guard. The hand guard is 12" long.

The 9mm AR will cost more to build. It'll be dirtier because of the direct blow back action, but man, it's A LOT of fun to shoot. It is my favorite suppressed platform period end of sentence.

Attachments

Last edited:
Frankly I'd never use a .223/5.56 for home defense, nor any rifle for that matter. Barrel length restricts maneuverability too much. For home defense I prefer a handgun (.40 S&W or 9mm) or a pump-action shotgun. The handgun is maneuverable but the sound of the shotgun's pump action being racked in a dark room is a great big loud "GET OUT!" to an intruder.

That said, if you're set on an AR-style rifle I'd get as short a barrel as you're comfortable with in tight surroundings, no more than 16", and keep it at 9mm. If there are others in your home that might be in other rooms if a confrontation were to occur, then there's less chance of a 9mm going through walls, furniture, the bodies of your family, you get the idea.

Planning on a 9mm for my next build, if and when money allows. Here are a few shots of my last build, your basic Franken-rifle. It's a range warrior but with its accuracy I'd grab it if the zombies were to come.

CMMG lower from OC Armory
CMMG LPK from OC Armory
Hogue pistol grip from Brownell's
Magpul MOE buttstock and buffer tube kit , com-spec, from RifleGear.com
Complete upper with 16" carbine-length barrel by JD Machine of San Diego
CMT Bolt Carrier Group (parkerized w/ chrome interior) from Bravo Company USA
BCM Gunfighter charging handle with medium latch from Bravo Company USA

Other assorted parts were gun show pickups, like the Magpul flip-up rear sight, etc.

AR-15 Completed 003.jpg
AR-15 Completed 008.jpg
AR-15 Completed 011.jpg

I have AR SBR's in 5.56 and 9mm flavors. They're both fun guns and either one would be pretty good for inside of 100 yards. A suppressed 9mm SBR is as fun as they come. I just built this upper with a 5" barrel and a Liberty Mystic under an ALG Defense Hand Guard. The hand guard is 12" long.

The 9mm AR will cost more to build. It'll be dirtier because of the direct blow back action, but man, it's A LOT of fun to shoot. It is my favorite suppressed platform period end of sentence.
That is simply badass. Wonder if you could post a parts list.

I've got a RRA LAR-9 AR 9mm,had it about 3 years,still unfired. Gotta get to a range to try it sometime.

George Strait-'check yes or no'.

Last edited:
Ar-15 platform pistol, SGM-9, less than 24 inches in length and very controllable indoors. A build up with close quarters in mind.
~
View attachment SGM 9 Pistol0001.pdf
~
SGM9 002.jpg
~
SGM9 003.jpg
~
SGM 9 lower with integral 3-position sling mount for swivel
VLTOR Custom pistol CASV handguard & flip up front sight
NOVESKE 10.5" Stainless barrel including KX3 Compensator
Carbine length Gas system with VLTOR low profile gas block
Special Nation Match Phosphate & Chrome custom bolt carrier
Shortened Bolt Carrier/allows for full buffer
Tangodown BG-16 Battle Grip w/storage
Tactical Dot Sight w/4 Red and Green Reticles (not shown mounted)