Anyone still keeping a liberty/battle rifle

Discussion in 'The 2nd Amendment' started by Sigh, February 17, 2012.

1. Sigh

Sigh

Over the years, friends and family have always kept at least one military type long gun, a stock of ammunition, and other things like magazines in the event of need as a citizen of our Constitutional Republic.

Over the years, I've gone from SKS-D (takes true AK magazines) and finally concluded with an AK-47 type Romanian. In between, I considered others such as a FAL and even switched everything over to AR-15 at one point. It's still habit for me to have complete gear ready to go for both rifle and sidearm.

I'm curious if other people, especially Ohioans, still keep a battle rifle and associated equipment. Anyone else or am I becoming a dino? :D

(Can't figure out how to make a poll.)

Last edited: February 17, 2012
  2. diesel

diesel

Absolutely not. I've the A-R and 1911 ready. Also three .357's. a large supply of water and hundreds of dollars of MRE's.
    I keep the ar and the .357's because i believe they will be the most readily available ammo. I also have an old Remington 760 with about 5 clips because one can find 30-06 ammo in almost any home in America. 9 mil. is also an option because of readily available ammo, but remember the .357 uses .38's as well.

Somthing to think about.

3. Sigh

Sigh

Well, that's comforting... the more Americans keeping such, the better in my opinion. Thank you for being prepared... me thinks the Republic will be in dire need of prepared patriots in the future.

Good advice on the caliber and availability. I always figured field small arms pickup would work in a pinch too.

In my neck 'o Ohio, three most common long arm battle calibers seem to be 7.62x39, .223, and .308. I didn't trust my .223 platform and the .308 was too much for me to lug and shoot in a FAL setup (short guy and getting shorter with age). FAL, AK47, AR-15, and SKS seems to rule around here so there is a lot of ammo available.

I'm not really jazzed nowadays with 9mm in general or the .40 our local sheriff deputies carry either. I've pretty much settled with .45ACP for sidearm. That too is most common for my area.

So, I'm fixed at AK47 with many, many magazines and ammo & Springfield 1911 with at least 3 mags and much ammunition. If I were a little younger and had my gear set up for extended field work, I'd likely switch back to AR-15 and a 9mm sidearm.

4. diesel

diesel

Glad your there Sigh. I agree with you on the 9mm and the 1911, but i keep the .357's strictly for ammo availability. I also have too many rounds to count and a great deal of food and water. My next purchase will be a water purification system. Keep the vigilance up fellow patriot, for i feel it will soon be needed !

5. I took a second thought and I do have my AR that was purchased many years ago at a gun show from a private party. I have well over 2000 rounds loaded and ready plus another 2500 shells ready to load. :D

I also have several pistols and ample amounts, and growing, of ammo for each of them as well.

6. Sigh

Sigh

Miscellaneous stuff

My brain skipped and it happens often with me anymore. I misused the term "battle rifle" even though I knew better. The only one posted by me that qualifies as a battle rifle and battle caliber is the FN FAL in 7.62x51. I even got lazy and referred to .308 WIN. What I want to write is clear enough in my head but doesn't always transfer to the posts.

Anyway, I cleaned my liberty gear yesterday and it felt good to accomplish something (I'm easily gratified). Now I need to stop smoking and better the clean up the most important gear, the person! :eek:

BTW: For years I considered myself well versed in firearm laws; especially Ohio's, but, recently found out that Ohio considers firearms with magazines over 31 rounds to be "automatic firearms." It's not a problem for me as standard magazines are heavy enough that I couldn't imagine schlepping around a bunch of 100 round drums! My arms would probably fall off before I finished a volley of 100 rounds. Nevertheless, from a freedom standpoint, I don't like the definition one bit.

Most probably were already aware but for those that aren't:

ORC 2923.11

Although, I could be wrong as IANAL.

7. HKlover

HKlover

Re: Miscellaneous stuff

two ak variants and plenty of mags and 7.62 x 39 , a glock 23 plenty of 40 ammo around these parts
    my latest addition is my c93 , Tacd out 1000 plus rounds of .223 , i do need more mags but there just so expensive!