Aim Small Miss Small

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by BuckJM53, February 1, 2014.

1. BuckJM53

BuckJM53

I would venture to guess that most here are familiar with the "aim small miss small" concept as it relates to target shooting. While I had been familiar with the concept for many years, I had never actually applied it to the target practice portion of my range time nor did I realize just how beneficial that it could be to improving my accuracy. Then one morning at the range (about three years ago), one of my shooting buddies that I hadn't seen in a while ask me why I was still using targets that had an 8" diameter, when my goal was to always hit the 1" bullseye (interesting question I thought)?

He proceeded to demonstrate how he had improved his accuracy by changing his mindset through the target that he used. He took out a piece of 8.5 x 11 plain paper, applied three 1" adhesive dots on the vertical plane, attached the target to the backer board and punched in 7 yards. He then loaded six rounds in his XD 9mm and proceeded to hit 2 out of the 3 dots with two rounds each (one round landed just outside of the third dot). Given that I never recalled him being quite that accurate before, I concluded that his suggestion had to have some merit so I decided to give it a whirl as I'm always looking for ways to improve my skills in anything I do.

In the ensuing three years, I've found that continued use of the technique has significantly improved my technique, accuracy and consistency, as it forces me to:
    1. Really focus on my sight picture (nothing but me, the front sight and a small dot).
    2. Fine tune my stance, breathing, grip and trigger control as I get immediate feedback if I push or pull the shot even the slightest bit.
    3. Learn how to minimize my natural "wobble" and how to consistently release the shot within the minimized wobble.

Note here that while I started with the 1" dots at 18', I have worked my way down to 3/4" dots at 10 yards (off hand with my center fire pistols). While I would love to extend the distances even further, my old eyes no longer allow me to get a good sight picture (with open sights) much beyond the 10 yard mark (those 3/4" dots get mighty small even at 10 yards :eek:) . While many of you may already incorporate "aim small miss small" exercises in your practice time, I thought that this might provide food for thought for those here who have not tried it. I hope that it benefits some others here as much as it has helped me.

Some Early Targets at 25' with my 75b and Ruger P-95

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Some more recent targets with the 75b at 10 yards

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    Nice shooting I've been doing that for years now. Take a playing card put it on edge and split the playing card in half. It will take one or two shoots a 7yrds.

3. Perhaps I better rethink my postal shoot intentions after post like these??:bow:

4. BuckJM53

BuckJM53

WW68 ... I don't know how I missed the postal shoot thread for the last week. I'm interested in participating and added some thoughts on the official thread (FWIW) :)

5. diesel

diesel

Ah...come on Wolf, stick with me, pal.
    The best shot has to bye for rest.....LOL!!!:D:flag:

6. BuckJM53

BuckJM53

Daniel ... I've never tried to split a playing card on edge. I'll have to give that a whirl sometime ;)

7. I like those odds. In that case Daniel, AD get your wallets ready. :rofl:

8. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    Well its a little chilly out but I,m waiting for my hair to dry and then its to the outdoor range. The Ar and two 1911 GP100 are going for some outdoor practice today. Shooting outdoors is my favorite know matter the weather. Practice makes perfect learned at a early age words to live by.

9. BuckJM53

BuckJM53

Daniel ... While shooting outdoors can be enjoyable and I do so upon occasion (mostly spring or fall), these days I much prefer the comfort of a nice indoor range :). I guess I'm just getting soft in my old age ;)

10. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    We have a nice 50' indoor range heated air makeup with nice exhaust system zero smoke from shooting 50' just seems to close.

11. BuckJM53

BuckJM53

I'm fortunate as our indoor range is a state of the art facility with fifteen 25 yard pistol/small bore lanes as well as five 100 yard high powered rifle lanes (which I rarely use as I'm mostly a pistol guy). With only a $300 annual membership it's truly a bargain as I typically shoot about 3 hours per week, which breaks down to about $1.90 per hour range time :).

12. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    Nice very nice 7yrd 25yrd 50yrd 100yrd all outdoors first three are covered ranges.