.45 Cal muzzle loader

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Surveyor, April 3, 2014.

1. Surveyor

Surveyor

Hello. My name is Surveyor and a very recent new member. Not sure of the correct forum or process but I'll give it a try. I'm in my mid 70's and been hunting of all kinds since my Dad taught me how to shoot when I was 8 years young. I like black powder hunting and currently have four 50 cal rifles. I am thinking about purchasing a .45 cal muzzle loader, hoping less kick. I use .45 cal sabots now in my .50 cal. Does anyone have any experience in the T/C .45 cal?

2. diesel

diesel

Hello, Surveyor, good to have you aboard. No experience with the T/C's but quite a bit with the CVA .45. Of course, that was some 35 years ago.
    I put that rifle together from a kit. I believe I paid $79.99 for that rifle. I'll never forget, that rifle came with an unfinished, 2 piece stock. That was the only bitch I had about it. Being 2 pieces, of course the weak spot was dead in the middle of the stock and it was a Kentucky Long Rifle to boot. You could always see it sagging down away from the barrel there and I hated that.:mad:

Otherwise, it was a great rifle for the money and the black powder technology of the time. Never shot sabots out of it, but found it to be much more accurate with round balls than maxi-balls. Poured the round balls myself, weighed every one, and re-melted any that were 3 grains off either way. With a consistent powder charge and patch, that little .45 was VERY accurate.
    And yes, the recoil was substantially less than the heavier maxi-ball. :flag:

Last edited: April 3, 2014
  3. Surveyor

Surveyor

Thanks for the info. Generally my black powder experience is during Ohio deer season.