44spl wc

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by forrest r, November 7, 2011.

1. forrest r

forrest r

Well it’s reloading time of the year again; I do most of my reloading in the winter. I work on different firearms dialing them in along with new reloads to try.

I just finished the 44spl’s, only have 500 cases so they went pretty quick. These are 180g wc with 5g of international clays pushing them. It’s a light target load but that’s all I wanted/need, but these things stack on top of each other accuracy wise.
    44splwc.jpg

Next up will be some target loads for the contender in 44mag. I’m going to try the lyman 429360 bullet. People say that that bullet is not accurate, I figured I’d give them a try anyway. All I’m looking for is a 50yd paper puncher.

2. Jeff H

Jeff H

Ohio
    That's an interesting WC. Are you casting that one or buying it?
    I have been shooting the LEE 208 grain WC for years in the .44 Special and have always had good luck with it.
    Time to cast up some more of those.

Have fun with the 429360.
    I haven't shot it myself but I haven't shot anything in the .44s that wouldn't shoot, so.....
    Some are good to 25 yards. others 50,... 75,.... 100...
    Anything I am shooting at beyond 75 yards with the .44s is a dirt clod or something and group size is hard to record.

Now that you mention it, it IS time to get some casting done.

3. forrest r

forrest r

It's a lyman 429384 that I cast. It's an interesting bullet because it has a plain base on 1 end & is setup to take gas checks on the other.
    44splbulletbullet.jpg

4. forrest r

forrest r

Jeff, what's the lee# for that lee wc mold? I'd like to pick one of those up to compare that bullet to the lyman bullet. I see that there's a lyman 429348 mold & handles on ebay for sale right now that look to be in excellent shape. Someone will be getting a rare mold, they quit making them 20+ years ago.

5. Feel free to post eBay links here. I have no objections to doing so. :D

6. Jeff H

Jeff H

Ohio
    Wow, man, this sucks. I went to look it up and the LEE .44 WC is also discontinued!!:mad:
    I wish I had grabbed a spare. That really kind of ticks me off because it was a fantastic bullet and I knew of a lot of people who liked it.
    I will have to dig it out and get the number and then I guess it's off to eBay for you and me.

Last edited: November 9, 2011