44 shooters

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by daniellawecki, March 29, 2013.

1. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    Any 44 shooters one of my favorites to shoot 101/2 ruger super blackhawk scoped 8 3/8 629 smith wesson. Cast boolits 250 swc and 2400 powder. Whats your pet gun and loads :question:

2. I've had(have no longer) 3 S&W 44 Mags,a M29 6",a M29 8 3/8",& a M629 SS 6". The 8 3/8" didn't care for as it was forward heavy,the 6 inchers liked both with a preference for the SS because of its' full barrel lug.
    Never cared for the factory ammo,even the better stuff from back in the 70s'. As a handloader,I always pushed the limit(and over) with 180jhp and IMR SR4756. 2400 always seemed 'dirty',but gave a nice flame.
    My current favorites are S&W 6" M19 357M pushing the limit with 110JHP and Beretta 92 9mm pushing the limit with 88jhp(a 380 acp bullet with the same .355" dia. as standard 9mm bullets).

3. diesel

diesel

As i'm not a reloader, YET, i can only tell you what i have. S&W 629 4" and an old flattop made in 1957. I also have,as of yesterday, three .357's, 2 Smiths and a colt.:flag:

Here is one of the .44's & 2 of the .357's.:flag:
    ruger44mag.jpg python003.jpg sampw586.jpg

This will be my next purchase as soon as i'm back to work.:D
    TAR15-RightW.jpg
    The TAR is the most beautiful rifle i have ever seen ! !:shocker:

Last edited: March 30, 2013
  4. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    Took the 44 Mag out H110 21.5grs 250 SWC grouped nice and small. There was a little unburnt powder no leading. The next load is getting loaded at 22.5. These loads were with CCI magnum primers.

5. diesel

diesel

Just picked up another Mod. 29 6" at 11:30 A.M. this very morning. Haven't looked it over very good, cleaned or fired it yet.
    I want to post a pic but my camera is dead. I'll charge it and put up a pic later.:flag:

LATER;

IMG_0511.JPG

Last edited: April 27, 2014
  6. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    Bumped charge to 22.6 grs no unburnt powder no leading I feel that 1gr more will show no pressure signs. The groups at 25yrds a very good after a few more rounds and powder changes I'll head to the 50yrd then to the 100yrd. I need to get a 8 pounder but its on order. This gun is my Super Blackhawk 10 1/2'' barrel fixed 4 power scope stock grips trigger job only. Shooting 3 round groups only 18 rounds per load increase. The crown has a nice star burst when looking from muzzle end I feel the lube is working fine and the lead hardness is fine. Do any of you push your cast bullets since that's all I shoot in my guns. The 41 mag will be the next gun to test its never been shot the powder of choice will be IMR 4227. Maybe some 20+ year old Remington 2 1/2 primers.

7. have you ever tried SR4756 powder ? I started out with(back in the 70s') 2400,IMR4227,and H110,now use the 4756 for all potent and semi-potent(reduced load).SR7625 is used in 38sp plinking/target loads,everything else gets 4756. I can reduce loads(for example:10mm reduced down to 40S&W velocity) without getting that unburned powder as you get with 2400,4227,110 when reducing loads.

8. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    No but I checked and found data I'll look for some.

9. I've been stocking up on 7625 and 4756 as Hodgdon has announced that production for PB,SR4756,SR4759,and SR7625 will end by the end of 2014. Other firearms forums show popularity for them so if there's enough sales maybe they'll be continued.

10. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    I'm at 24grs of H110 same cast bullet loaded 24rds trying to get out and shoot these. The load is just starting to compress powder. This load should show good groups and I think there should not be any leading.:)

11. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    Just came back from the club these rounds are the cats a**. Recoil was heavy groups at 50 yards off pistol rest were a ragged out hole. Primers were not flat bullets crimped on driving band. I will use Howards Chrony Sunday and clock these loads Ruger Superblack Hawk 10 1/2" barrel Simmons 4 power Pro Hunter scope. This brass is mixed and no primer pockets were cleaned or worked on period.

12. 24 0f H110 behind a 250SWC,have to remember that.

13. Love that TAR rifle. It would almost be a shame to shoot that damn thing though. I am sure it I owned one the temptation would over come me at some point. :whistle:

14. daniellawecki

daniellawecki

toledo
    Been shooting the 44 mag with cast bullets. Friday my groups were fine but high right. The powder or bullet isn't the problem it's me. It seems yesterday I started heeling {anticipating recoil}. Put off having surgery I have nerve damage in the right arm fingers are numb and sometimes burn. Should have had surgery last year have told the company they are very concerned and told me to have it done. I build machinery for big companies and turn a lot of bolts and heavy lifting. My wrist hurts and I'm not keen on surgery. Tomorrow I'll put more concentration on the scope trigger pull. Shooting glove does help but I sure love shooting kicka** mag loads sure puts a smile on your face pain and all.

15. I know this is gonna be off topic but Daniel, please take care of yourself sir. Losing the loss of use in a limb is nothing to screw with. I know the surgery will be rough afterwards but the benefits will hopefully out weigh the bad. Just some food for though from someone who cares. :)