231 & 38spl

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by forrest r, October 21, 2011.

1. forrest r

forrest r

2. Thank you for that link. I guess my 4.4 loads are safe and sound then, but I suppose I should reduce it a wee bit.

3. Jeff H

Jeff H

Ohio
    Never had one in .22 but the .357 takes on a new life in a long (16" and up) barrel. I hadn't owned a .357 in twenty years when I picked up the Rossi '92.

I missed what you were loading in the .44.

Mag or 'Special?

W231 has been good to me in the 'Special, but I don't think I have ever tried it in the mag. I usually don't try to reach the higher velocities the books show with the faster powders. The 5.5 grain charge I use for the 158 grain in the .357 is actually .4 grain under the starting charge shown in my LEE manual. That "mild" .357 (pressure-wise) reaches higher velocities from the longer barrel of the carbine without the extra pressure. They are not "high" velocities for a rifle, but they get close to what a normal (higher pressure) .357 load would coming out of a revolver.

4. Sorry the link was for the .38 Special load data. I've not yet started loading for the .44 spl/mag as of yet. I am working to get a mold on eBay as we speak. The 4.4 was in reference to the .38 spl 158gr loads with W231.

5. Jeff H

Jeff H

Ohio
    I wan't "listening" very well.:)

Good luck on the mould!

6. No harm Jeff...we kinda strayed away from topic anyhow. Since we are off topic, any ideas how to expand membership here?

7. Jeff H

Jeff H

Ohio
    Well, I was thinking about that, and since I have pretty much stopped visiting forums in general, I am going to be pretty useless in terms of bringing it up in other forums. I do still visit Rimfire Central, specifically the "Other Rimfires" sub-forum to bone up on the CZ rimfire rifles.

I wonder if it wouldn't be worthwhile to set up a table at a couple of the prominnent Ohio shows whith some cards with the site address and a few bits of info? I sort of believe that Ohio gun owners might be interested in a site dedicated to their interests and where they could meet other folks that aren't on the other side of the globe - people they could get together with and actually see. It would be a great way to disseminate show dates, shooting events and other things shooters are interested in like calendars showinghistorical events in Ohio, gun store and FFL listings.

I have been thinking but haven't really come up with anything REALLY good yet.

Still thinking though.

8. Sorry to hear you've stopped the forums. Hopefully you enjoy your time here and continue to visit??

I thought about printing some business card with the logo and information and doing just what you suggested. I am working to gather information related to the FFL holders and various stores. I know there are other forums out there with the same information and purpose but I've found they are quite commercialized and hard to navigate at times. I work hard to try and keep this as simple as possible but still appealing. I just added the TOS link at the bottom tonight as well. I am sure that will have to be updated with more information soon too.

9. Jeff H

Jeff H

Ohio
    I certainly do enjoy my time here except for that annoying echo whenever one of us talks.;)

I really think this site is a good idea and I think it will catch on. I will do what I can to spread the word.

The forums I have faded from started getting pretty outrageous - mostly guys trying to build credibility by explaining how bad-assed they are or a very, very common form of degenerative discussion disorder - trashing what others like to make themselves feel better about the choices they made and the money they spent.

If other sites will add OGO to their links, it woul dbe a big boost. The business cards sound great. Keep a pocketfull handy whenever you head to a show or a shop.

10. I know what you mean about the echo echo echo... LOL

That's the thing I personally dislike about a lot of the forums as well. I am not a person to brag, I am just me. I want to have a nice place where people can gather get information or just plain talk to each other. Sort of like the 2 forums I've linked at the bottom of the page.

I wish I could get other boards to link to us but thus far I've not gotten any responses. I think they feel I would be taking membership away from them which is not my intention.